Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pop Culture Wednesday

It's a good thing that I manage to be extra productive some weeks, because this week I haven't managed to get through much in terms of pop culture.  It's been hard to even find time to drag myself to the computer.  Silly illness flares.  Anyway, here are my reviews of a few things on my list :).

A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah:

















An amazing book.  It shows how you can survive through the most brutal of circumstances and yet still have light in your heart.  I think this should be mandatory reading material.


Outsourced:

















This movie touched my heart in so many ways...and made me want to learn more about Indian culture :).  This isn't very well known, but it is on Netflix --> if you have it, watch it!

Repo! The Genetic Opera:

















I had no idea what to expect going into this!  So much macabre fun to be had here.  I love Anthony Stewart Head (Giles from Buffy!) and Sarah Brightman!  It ended up being both epic, fun, and sad.  I would definitely watch this again, as some of its songs were stuck in my head for awhile after watching!

Layer Cake:
Either I felt really bad when I watched this movie, or there wasn't a whole lot to it.  Daniel Craig's attractiveness was my main reason for putting it on, but I can't say I really cared for any of the characters.  It was a gritty cocaine tale that left me wanting more.

What have you seen and liked this week??

xoxo,
Annie




3 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

We have been watching “The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency” and am thoroughly enjoying the series. Set in Botswana with lovable characters and believable dialogue, the episodes are colorful and interesting. I love them as I did when I read a few of the books several years ago.

Anonymous said...

I finally got Netflix! I've only seen two movies but I love it. First movie I saw was "The Stoning of Soranya (sp?)" A stunning story about a wonmen being stoned to death for a crime she didn't commit.

Then I watched "Mother and Child" starring Anette Benning. A story about a woman who gave her baby up for adoption at age 14, and how it tormented her entire life. Amazing surprise ending! I would recommend both.
mo

Anonymous said...

let's see...

i finally saw "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg" which i've been meaning to see forever. i also saw "the adjustment bureau" which left me with the fate vs free will debate raging in my head, matt damon and emily blunt had amazing chemistry, and are both gorgeous as a bonus.

a long way gone has been on my to-read list for ages and ages, i will try to push it up towards the top after hearing you loved it so much!