Friday, June 19, 2009

Setback of the Day

It can be so difficult to find ways to make money when you are a girl with chronic illness living on a tiny, little island.

I'm finally ready to get back out into the workforce after a 4 month hiatus. I'm a college graduate (today was my last day!) and I have a solid resume, even though it lacks a little practical hands-on experience in the fields of my choice. However, I am obligated to do an On the Job Training position as part of graduation for 4 weeks.

I started one of these not too long ago at Imageworks, (probably the biggest publication company in the area). I was incredibly excited to have the opportunity to write and design as part of my actual employment. Unfortunately, after four days of work, my body decided to give out on me and they chose to let me go. Needless to say, I was somewhat devastated.

Fast foward to the current day. I was approved for an OJT position at a radio station to work alongside the administrative assistant. Again, I was excited to work within a media-based position. However, when the woman received my resume, she was intimidated by my level of education being above her own, and rescinded her offer. Sadly, this is not the first time this has happened. So frustrating!!!!

I obviously am just a girl looking for ways to learn more about the business. All I want is to work within media-based positions, and my illness and/or education seems to continually get in my way.

If anyone ever starts to follow this blog - feel free to contact me for any writing or proofreading needs. As of right now, I guess I just keep trying to get my name out there and hold my head up high.

No comments: