Sadly, I did not get to choose the doctors, as that is not how it works in Canada. I get assigned a particular doctor, and if we start to have qualms with each other, I put in a request to have a referral. Referrals can take up to two years to happen.
As a result, I try my best to work with the doctors I have, but that isn't always possible depending on the quality of the workers at hand.
I know my body better than anyone. Better than any doctor. So anyone who dismisses me as crazy is instantly written off. I don't have the time or patience to deal with those kinds of people, as they destroyed my self-esteem as a teenager. I now know that I deserve to stand up for myself, and I take the measures to make sure that I do.
What I like in my doctors:
- An open mind towards full body medicine. I'm sick of only being treated for particular parts of my illnesses, when I know most of them intertwine.
- Regular blood testing. I want to know what's going on.
- The realization that I rapidly metabolize medication, and to dose me accordingly.
- The knowledge that Fibromyalgia, CFIDS, and autoimmune diseases are very serious and very debilitating.
What I don't like in my doctors:
- Those who don't communicate with my other doctors. Everyone seems to be in the dark all of the time!
- Those who say awful things about my other doctors and their attempts at treating me.
- Those who tell me that if nature wants me to be sick I should just embrace the sickness and wait for it to go away.
- Lack of respect or clashing personalities.
What do you like and dislike in your doctors loves???