Thursday, May 13, 2010

My Summer Life Goal

Patients for a Moment is asking the community to declare a goal for the summer that is not your behavioral norm.


I've been searching the corners of my mind for a really good one.  Something that will help pick up my spirits, despite having to live in the constant shadow of my illness.


At first I thought about trying camping, but tis a difficult situation when I am allergic to mosquitoes and black flies, and can not sleep anywhere that is not my own bed (and most of the time I have difficulties there!).  So perhaps that isn't the best idea.


Instead, I think I'm going to go with taking advantage of as many sunny weekend days as possible at the Prince Edward Island beaches.  I have to pack a massive bag (pills, drinks, sunscreen, umbrellas, special food, etc...) but I think it will be worth it, as it is one of my favorite places to spend time.  I'm prone to heat stroke and heat rashes but I'll try to be extra careful.


This task will be difficult for me (and out of the ordinary), as I have a severe fear of being around people when I'm very sick.  I feel like a MAJOR BUZZKILL.  Plus, I throw up a LOT.  People do not like seeing that, especially at the beach.  I have such a fear of public places, lengthy trips away from my apartment, and letting people down.  I should know that the people who matter don't judge me nearly as much as I think they do.  Alas.  My head is stubborn.


This is my number one 'out of the ordinary' goal for the summer.  Take the few moments I can enjoy, and try to enjoy them with other people, even though I am scared of the possibilities.  Yes.  I think that sounds good.




What would your goal be??

xoxo,
Annie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's a great goal! The beach is so soothing to me. It's one of my favorite places to be, because it's so relaxing.

I haven't yet thought of any summer goals, but I guess that going on vacation in Florida -- I live in Connecticut -- is actually a goal. Mike and I have just decided that we are definitely on again; we were going to go, and then we decided not to, and now we've decided to try.

Thinking about the beach, I just thought of something! I'm not sure if your beaches are good for shells, but something relaxing to do is walking up and down the beach and collecting shells. Then you could take them home and do crafts with them. My aunt once covered an ordinarily plain vase with them, and it looks gorgeous in my great-grandmother's bathroom. I bet by the end of the summer, you'd have tons of shells!

A'n'G Johnson said...

That sounds lovely. And just a thought - can you have a beach bag that is pre-packed (maybe aside from meds and food) so that you don't have to spend so much energy into getting it ready each time you feel up to enjoying the sunny weekend?!
And I totally understand feeling like a buzzkill, but you know what - the true buzzkill is not getting out and living life!
So I can't wait to hear about all the fun you have!

Sairs said...

I also think it's a lovely goal. I on the other hand am going into winter, so I am hoping for days of snuggling up with a good book and some hot chocolate. I hope the days you decide to go are perfect summer days :-)
Sarah

upnorth said...

Lots of days on the beaches sounds like it could have pros....How about more secluded beaches? Do you have any of those nearby - could be the best of both worlds then.

I used to camp a LOT, however, now I find that I don't have the energy. I try to do really short outings to natural areas as a compromise.

Anonymous said...

All such lovely thoughts...I want to go with each of you. I would love to find the energy to work in my garden with my Hubby. Maybe I will get one day...that would make me so happy.
mo