Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pop Culture Wednesday

This week I've had lots of opportunities to view new and exciting things!  On the trip to Cape Breton, I actually had cable.  I haven't had cable in soooooooo long.  Since I very rarely leave the apartment, I obviously had it on all of the time.  However, no one wants to know about my secret life of drowning in A+E, TLC, and Slice.  Instead, I'll tell you about the good things :)

Crazy Heart:


















I love Jeff Bridges.  I really do.  The Big Lebowski is one of my very favorite movies.  As a result, I was quite excited to see this movie.  It's very good, but not stunningly great.  I don't even know if it should have been considered prime Oscar bait, but it worked out for him.  If you are into a good comeback film, I highly recommend.  On the other hand, I also have a copy of The Wrestler to watch, and I hear that it is even better!

Death at a Funeral:
I laughed.  And I laughed.  And I laughed some more.  This was probably the funniest thing I have seen in a LONG time.  Do not go see the new American remake, as the British had it right the first time!!  

A Single Man:



Wow.  Who knew that Tom Ford would be able to take his fantastic fashion design skills and translate them into perfect film direction!!  This film is beautiful, fantastic, depressing, romantic, poignant, and very possibly my favorite pick of last year.

Before Sunrise:


















My go-to film when I'm feeling romantic, whimsical, and philosophical.  It is all talk and no action, and yet the spoken words between the main characters make for a far deeper connection than you get in the average romantic comedy or drama.  Also, Julie Delpy may be the cutest person on the planet!

What is keeping everyone entertained this week?!?!?!

Also - today is the National Fibromyalgia Awareness day!
http://www.fmaware.org/site/PageServer
I'm trying to do my part to spread awareness, what are you doing??

Let's make this disease fully recognized and accepted by both health professionals and the general public!!!!!

xoxo,
Annie

10 comments:

Toni said...

I laughed and laughed at Death at a Funeral too! I haven't seen Crazy Heart but I'm a Jeff Bridges fan so I know I'll like it. It does, though, look like a remake of one of my favorite movies: Tender Mercies. If you rent movies, I think you'll love it!

So, Annie, if you don't get cable, how are you able to see Nurse Jackie? Here it's on premium cable: Showtime channel.

Annie said...

Toni, I watch it online at Megavideo!

Also, I will write down that movie and go looking for it!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of cable? I Hate to pay the cable bill! It is so expensive here...but the Joe-Man likes it. I barely watch it. I LOVED THE BIG LEBOWSKI DUDE!

I love your movie reviews. I am gonna check out Crazy Heart next weekend maybe.

xoxomo

Leslie said...

Since it's Pop Culture Wednesday, I just wanted to let you know that Alan Doyle of Great Big Sea (a good ol' Maritimer!) is playing Allan A-Dayle in the new Robin Hood movie. I'm oddly excited by this tidbit.

Anonymous said...

I love movies! I want to see Kick-Ass. Have you seen it yet?

I have mixed feelings about fibromyalgia, probably because so many doctors tried to diagnose me with it without really looking at my symptoms. I in no way doubt that people with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome are suffering. I no much too well how it feels to be in constant pain and to be bone tired.

But, I really feel like doctors slap fibromyalgia and CFS diagnoses on patients they can't figure out. I saw a couple of doctors who tested me for fibromyalgia trigger points and said I didn't have any, and I've seen a couple of doctors who tried to just diagnose me without testing me just because they didn't want to be bothered.

I dunno. I just feel like CFS and fibromyalgia have too broad and indefinite lists of symptoms. I think that there needs to be better research and a more definitive list of symptoms and tests.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that should say "I know much too well."

Dominique said...

Eww... Thank you! I'm adding all of these to my got to order from Netflix list! Thank you!

I am hanging out in bed. My dental appointment on Monday wiped me out!

Nested said...

I like Before Sunset (the sequel, 10 years later) better than Before Sunrise - Have you seen it?

Annie said...

I haven't seen it Vladimir, I'll have to put it on the must watch list!!

Alison said...

I know this is an old post, but now that I am feeling better I just had to come back and say that Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are probably my favorite romantic movies ever.