Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Oh What An Expensive Life I Lead!

So as my new savior medications start to stop working after a two week period (like every other medication I have ever taken in my entire life...), my desperation for a quick fix grows.


This is not the first time I've jumped on the bandwagon of new and promising treatments.  I have tried everything under the sun, and some of them are VERY expensive.  Like in debt far beyond your eyeballs expensive.  Like eat food out of a garbage can expensive.  Like I have no idea what to do if I can't get a job soon expensive.


I wish I could provide you all with an extensive list of what I've put into my body and onto my body in the hopes of solving my migraines, mysterious body pain, rashes, cystic acne, gastric problems, depression, and allergies, but my memory just isn't good enough to go through the last 11 years worth of trial and error.  This is a generalized run-down:
  • Vitamins
  • Special face washes and creams
  • Acupuncture
  • Reflexology
  • Physiotherapy
  • Naturopathic treatments
  • Illegal drugs (very briefly)/alcohol
  • Prescribed medications on top of other medications on top of other medications...
  • Special diets
  • Massage
  • Psychological therapy
  • Information books
I can't even speculate how much money all this has cost over the years.  If it weren't for my fantastic mother and father, I would be unable to afford my medication at all, let alone any of the experimentation.  I am so desperate for help that I will jump at any opportunity relayed to me regarding what to do or take, with the hope of making myself feel better.

Do I regret any of the things that I have tried??

Prior to starting Gabapentin 1.5 years ago, I had never really vomited.  Since that first day, I've ended up vomiting all of the time!  If I discontinue the drug, the vomiting continues.  It is like my body has been altered fundamentally.  But these are the lessons that one must learn, so I take the bad with the good, and as such...can't really regret.

I guess we just all hold on to the hope that there is one magical pill or treatment somewhere in the world that will rid us of our pain.  Maybe we'll be lucky, maybe we won't.  Only time will tell.

Tell me my fellow sufferers, what has worked for you??!

xoxo,
Annie

8 comments:

A'n'G Johnson said...

Hmmm I don't think anything has. But I can I say that I am much worse when I am not taking B vitamins with extra dosages in B6 and B12.

I tend to go through phases of trying out new stuff. Then just not seeing any doctors for a while. Then trying a bunch more. Its so frustrating when all these educated "experts" just shrug their shoulders and say they don't know what to do after you just paid them three generations worth of savings... -sigh- but chin up! Try to find something you know will at least help your mindset tonight, if not your physical pain. Gentle hugs!

Anonymous said...

Aside from my ridiculously priced medications, I do really like wine...Alice White Lexia, Mondavi Reisling. Ice Cream...plain old chocolate, and donuts. Sometimes at the same time. Cures all ills...for awhile at least.

Sorry you are feeling down Annie! I hate when that happens.

xoxomo

Annie said...

Aww thanks Phoenix Peacock! I am a big fan of the B vitamins too. I hope someone helps all of us :).

and Maureen, I adore you! Wine, chocolate, donuts...those all sound like pretty awesome treatments to me :)

Toni said...

Hi Annie,

I've tried so many of the same things you have. The only one that's helped me is acupuncture but it only helps if I keep doing it and I can't afford that. It's so frustrating.

I go through periods where I just give up looking for new treatments but then I start up again on that never-ending search.

I'm with Maureen. My best treatment: chocolate. I don't care what they'll say about it next -- that can tell me it's poison and it will remain my comfort food!

I hope you start to feel a bit better soon. This has been a long hard spell for you.

Alison said...

What has worked, not much! Acupuncture can sometimes get me immediate results, or a good restorative yoga session. Nystatin helped a little with my skin. That sucks about the Gabapentin! I know it's a risk we take, but, that's really unfortunate.

elisabeth said...

B-complex, iron supplements, Treximet (my last-ditch migraine medication) and Synthroid (my thyroid medication) all work very well for me, for which I am eternally grateful. Unfortunately, Treximet is horribly expensive and I am down to my last dose, so I am trying to avoid using it for as long as possible. Prednisone works well also, but due to the side effects I also avoid it as much as possible. *sigh*

In good news, the Methotrexate may be working fairly well, but it is still early in treatment so we'll see how that goes...

Emily said...

I'm with you - I've spent thousands of dollars on treatments, pills, etc., that haven't helped. Some have made things worse - worse headache, other side effects. Ugh. It makes me sick just to think about the amount of money I've wasted. :/

Marita Bliss said...

This is a tricky one that I'm trying out (indefinitely), acceptance. The pain is there. It's just there, I try to watch it through mediation, and not get so emotionally affected by it.
It's really hard, but it will probably get easier with time :) Being calm helps, cus I know a lot of the pains I get from my M.E. are stress related.