(Selected from The Cancer Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz)
- Almonds (anti-inflammatory, fiber, blood sugar regulators) - I have a whole package of these with the skins on. I really should get on trying to eat more of them. They are a light enough food to keep down.
- Apples (anti-inflammatory) - these are particularly yummy with peanut butter, and yet I'm never eating them. WHY IS THIS??
- Apricots (anti-inflammatory and full of potassium) - I had no idea on the latter!
- Asparagus and every green vegetable (seems to have everything...) - I bought some of the former and put it in the fridge earlier :).
- Avocados (same as above) - I'm a HUGE fan, and yet never seem to find any great ways to eat them.
- Beans and Lentils (protein, minerals, and anti-inflammatory) - So useful!
- Beets (anti-inflammatory) = Love
- Chicken (cancer-preventative qualities!) - this is good as I'm a chicken and fish gal.
- Chocolate (the dark kind) - has 4 times the antioxidants in tea!
- Edamame (jumpstart the immune system) - yay! I like these for snacks.
- Eggs (anti-inflammatory) - My protein staple for sure.
- Garlic and Ginger (and a million other spices - if it's a spice, it's probably good for you...) - Spices make everything better.
- Green Tea (polyphenols keep carcinogens inactive in the body!) - I like all tea. And coffee. And hot beverages in general.
- Honey (antimicrobial and aids liver function) - I'd say add it in the tea but for some reason that combination weirds me out.
- Onions (antibacterial and anti-inflammatory) - I think these are wonderful but my boyfriend thinks they are the scum of planet Earth.
- Oranges (Vitamin C baby!) - Orange Juice is a horrible thing to puke.
- Potatoes (regular and sweet - may have an overall detoxifying effect) - I feel ambivalent toward my starches.
- Quinoa, Rice, all basic grains.
- Salmon (and most fish for the Omega-3s and anti-inflammatory-ness) - I love me some fish :)
- Yogurt (probiotics for GI issues and immune system boosting!) - I'm lactose-intolerant too, but a little yogurt has never caused me too many problems.
What's on your must eat for health list???