Sunday, February 28, 2010

Foods That Should Be On My Regular 'Real Food' Shopping List

A List of Foods I Should Be Eating and Their Pharmaceutical Properties
(Selected from The Cancer Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz)
  1. Almonds (anti-inflammatory, fiber, blood sugar regulators) - I have a whole package of these with the skins on.  I really should get on trying to eat more of them.  They are a light enough food to keep down.
  2. Apples (anti-inflammatory) - these are particularly yummy with peanut butter, and yet I'm never eating them.  WHY IS THIS??
  3. Apricots (anti-inflammatory and full of potassium) - I had no idea on the latter!
  4. Asparagus and every green vegetable (seems to have everything...) - I bought some of the former and put it in the fridge earlier :).
  5. Avocados (same as above) - I'm a HUGE fan, and yet never seem to find any great ways to eat them.
  6. Beans and Lentils (protein, minerals, and anti-inflammatory) - So useful!
  7. Beets (anti-inflammatory) = Love
  8. Chicken (cancer-preventative qualities!) - this is good as I'm a chicken and fish gal.
  9. Chocolate (the dark kind) - has 4 times the antioxidants in tea!
  10. Edamame (jumpstart the immune system) - yay! I like these for snacks.
  11. Eggs (anti-inflammatory) - My protein staple for sure.
  12. Garlic and Ginger (and a million other spices - if it's a spice, it's probably good for you...) - Spices make everything better.
  13. Green Tea (polyphenols keep carcinogens inactive in the body!) - I like all tea.  And coffee.  And hot beverages in general.
  14. Honey (antimicrobial and aids liver function) - I'd say add it in the tea but for some reason that combination weirds me out.
  15. Onions (antibacterial and anti-inflammatory) - I think these are wonderful but my boyfriend thinks they are the scum of planet Earth.
  16. Oranges (Vitamin C baby!) - Orange Juice is a horrible thing to puke.
  17. Potatoes (regular and sweet - may have an overall detoxifying effect)  - I feel ambivalent toward my starches.
  18. Quinoa, Rice, all basic grains.
  19. Salmon (and most fish for the Omega-3s and anti-inflammatory-ness) - I love me some fish :)
  20. Yogurt (probiotics for GI issues and immune system boosting!) - I'm lactose-intolerant too, but a little yogurt has never caused me too many problems.
What's on your must eat for health list???

xoxo,
Annie

14 comments:

elisabeth said...

I'm actually reading the anti0inflammatory diet right now- this seems like a good summary, lol! I really need to keep more of these goods available (and actually eat them!) Which reminds me- time to survey what I have before I go to the store...

Unknown said...

hey chick,
I eat a fairly healthy diet because of my Graves disease and because I'm a runner. I see a nutrionist(sic?) sometimes and I sometimes check in with Rachelle Wood-a fantastic naturopathic nutrionist on PEI.


Graves is an autoimmune problem that can be mostly managed through proper nutrition, so I pay pretty close attention. For me, the biggest and best health decision I ever made was deciding that coffee would be a treat(every third day) rather than a daily indulgence.

Caffeine is the devil for people with autoimmune problems.

My next big diet plan is to get rid of white sugar intake entirely.

Unknown said...

Green Tea and honey is lovely. It's also nice with lemon!

You could make gucamole with the avocados?

I live on hummus with cucumber and wholemeal pitta bread for lunch nearly everyday!

Shelli said...

Great list! I love all the foods you've listed, but there were some surprises regarding the benefits. More excuses to eat yummy foods!

One of my favorite comfort foods is avocado on toast. My dad used to make it for me when I was little. He added salt and "freckles" -- I wouldn't eat it if I thought it had pepper on it.

Annie said...

Amanda,
I know with the caffeine it's just so so hard to avoid when you are so without energy!!

I love the suggestions for ways to eat avocados! Salt and freckles makes me giggle Shelli :)

I love all your suggestions!

Anonymous said...

Annie, For a long time I was eating whatever was the easiest for me to prepare. That ended up being bagels, cereal, yogurt and bananas. Just recently I have eased more fruit into my daily diet and I have cut back on caffeine. I eat little or no meat, I just don't like it. I am always having problems with low potassium so I try to eat raisins and dried apricots every day. I need to eat better...maybe I'll start tomorrow.
xoxomo

Assiya said...

Wow, so interesting! Thanks! I shall look into using foods as anti-inflamatories and such! It's great to also have some non-pill things that help with pain.

Flavored green teas can help my stomach when I am nauseous, so I buy those from the vending machine sometimes. I hear bananas have potassium which is supposedly good for muscle cramps, so I try to eat those in the hopes it will maybe help my muscle spasms, but I've never really done any research about it.

Alison said...

My favorite way to eat avocados is to make avocado chocolate pudding. It looks and taste just like chocolate pudding, you can't taste the avocado at all. Another good way is to make carrot avocado soup, basically one avocado blended with two cups of carrot juice, some lemon, ginger, caynne, maybe garlic. If you want I can send you the recipes.

Also, almonds are easier to digest if you soak them first for 12 hours. They don't taste as good wet but you can give them some time to dry out. You just have to eat them within a few days.

Robyn S. said...

GREAT list! I really don't eat as healthily as I should, and given all my health problems, this is probably something I should get a handle on. I'm going to print this out as a reference guide. :)

ALSO, I too have some snacky suggestions:

#2- Apples- try making "ants on a log!" Apples+ peanut butter+ raisins. Healthy AND delicious!

#4- I just love asparagus. Are they just as good for you cooked? I like to grill them with a little olive oil and salt. Yummy!

#5- Avocados-- also delicious. Try slicing them up and putting them in salad (with oranges, almonds, lettuce, and goat cheese- YUM), or add them to a sandwich instead of mayo. (Actually, I'm not sure if you could eat a sandwich right now, but maybe if you get adventurous one day, you could try this).

#12- I lived in Italy for 5 months and, as a result, I put garlic and olive oil in almost everything. I tend to throw onions into the veggie mix too. Just brush well after, lol.

#20- You can get those probiotics in pill form too. (You probably already know this). I take one with each meal along with NT-factor energy, and this has seemed to help things. I can even drink coffee again (although I try to make it a treat instead of a crutch too. Green tea helps with this endeavour).

I love this post! Cherries are supposedly a super-food too... also delish!

Annie said...

Wow, I had no idea there would be so much love for a food post! I am loving all the ideas!

Unknown said...

Giving up coffee is crazy hard, but it does totally change your body's chemistry. It's not easy, but it's soooooooo worth it.

I totally reccomend seeing Rachelle Wood(her office is right above Beanz, which is a little ironic). She's amazing with autoimmune disorders and she totally transformed my eating
habits.

I know it sounds crazy, but I had no idea that a nearly perfect diet could help my symptons so much. Before her I thought my diet and my illness were barely connected.

Annie said...

I actually saw, I forget her name but the office above the Root Cellar, for about 600 dollars worth of sessions. We changed diets, we did acupuncture, we did massage, we took supplements...and in the end she let me go because my case was too severe and unheard of haha.

Just makes me wary on another...

Robyn S. said...

You know, Annie, this is a stretch and I'm CERTAINLY no doctor, but I wonder if you have gastroparesis? Have any of your doctors ever considered that? Any gastroparesis-sufferers stop me if I'm TOTALLY off-track, but considering your problems keeping down food, I feel like someone should at least check...

Also, sorry I'm totally pulling out the "I've got all the answers," super-annoying advice-giving card. I've been thinking about you a lot since we talked and I think I've worked myself up into an annoying, advice-giving frenzy!

Hope you're having a good day, Annie!

Pris said...

Malanga, a root my Cuban American dentist told me about, is low starch, yummy, and works well as a digestive aid. Peel, chop into pieces, boil until tender, mash. Add margarine and a little minced garlic/onion sauteed in olive oil. Delish and good for you!!

Pris